Most people think that the cure to sleeplessness is medication but often, medication can often have too many side effects and some can even make you dependent on them. That’s why your best option is to always first try some natural methods to getting better sleep at night. In some instances, it’s not so much that you can’t fall asleep, it is that you are having a hard time reaching that deep sleep that we all need to restore basic life functions. Of course, there are also those people who have a hard time falling asleep because they suffer from insomnia but no matter what sleeping problems you may have, we can all agree that finding a solution to better sleep is imperative. Here are five tips for getting better sleep without using medication.
- Reduce stress before you go to sleep. In fact, before you go to bed, you should find ways to reduce your stress levels. This means that you should shut off your brain and don’t think about the stresses of work or everyday life. You should try to meditate, read or do anything to calm yourself down for about an hour before bed and even something as simple as taking a few deep breaths before turning in for the day can be a huge help.
- Turn off all electronics before bed. It is also critical that you shut off all your electronic devices before you go to sleep. One of the biggest causes of sleeplessness is too much stimulation. So, you want to shut off all computers, phones and anything else that makes a beeping noise or ringing. Even knowing that your gadgets are on will cause you to be too stimulated. Not only that but if you leave these devices on at night, they may be buzzing and chirping and causing you to wake up from your slumber.
- Tidy up your home before you get into bed. It is also important to tidy up before you get under the covers. Knowing that your home is clean will allow you to drift off to sleep without worrying about waking up in a messy home. So, be sure to do the dishes, clean your counters and pick up clothing from your bedroom floor. Sometimes the act of tidying up can be all the meditation you need to fall into a deeper and more restorative sleep.
- Get help for your sleep disorder. If you know that you have some sort of sleep disorder, you may want to think about getting help for it. If you have sleep apnea, one of the best ways to sleep better is to undergo CPAP treatment. CPAP stands for continuous positive airway pressure and it is the preeminent therapy option for obstructive sleep apnea. You can actually visit Americare Respiratory Services to browse through different CPAP machines, masks, and other supplies.
- Schedule the time that you go to sleep at night. Repetition is one of the best ways to get your internal clock in order and calibrated and the best way to do this is to have one set bedtime every night. After a few days of going to bed at exactly the same time, your body will start to regulate itself, which will make you feel much more well rested when you get up in the morning.